Saturday 9 August 2014

Cover your SaltyBits.... in a Kilt.

Cover your SaltyBits.... in a Kilt.
If you think that wearing a skirt is the pinnacle of femininity, you could not be more wrong. Few clothing items are as masculine as the Kilt. When the Scots were busy keeping the Romans out of the country, they where marching through the heather wearing precisely this garment. It could be said, that the Kilt led to the eventual construction of Hadrian's wall, keeping the Romans out of Scotland (or was it the Scots out of the Roman territory?).
While the SaltyPaws is well stocked in the heavy anchor, long chain, foul weather gear and kite surfing department, she is ill equipment in the formal wear department. The choice clothing items on the SaltyPaws are board shorts and rash guard when it is warm, and foul weather gear and life jackets in adverse conditions. When we called Iain, to let them know we were delighted to be invited for their wedding, and if he would mind that we wore our board shorts and rash guard, or otherwise our foul weather gear, he quickly responded that he would organize a Kilt for me to wear.
Truthfully, since I first saw people wearing a Kilt at a gala, I have always wanted to try one, so I quickly said yes. And I am glad I did. The kilt is surprisingly comfortable to wear! I have been warm many times at parties, wearing my tux1, but the kilt feels nice and refreshing. I was wearing the tartan of the Isle of Skye, but I liked the Kilt so much, that I would need to dig in my family roots to check if there is any hint of Scottish blood2.
1 Surprisingly, the only person to keep his cool under the Mediterranean sun wearing his tux is the real Tux Tuxington.
2 For those of you that would like to know if I used anything under the Kilt to cover the SaltyBits, let that forever remain a mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment