Tuesday 6 May 2014

An involuntary swim in the morning.

Today I had my first swim off the SaltyPaws. As the water was only 19 degrees, it was not quite voluntary. After all, we were only at the Cabo de Gata, at the edge of the costa del sol and the costa Blanca. What had happened? Did I fall overboard? I wasn't wearing my life jacket, so I did not quite fall overboard. No, what had happened, is that a plastic bag had tangled itself into the port propeller. Elizabeth made a valiant attempt to dislodge it with the boat hook, but no Cigar. Some volunteer needed to go into the water to take the plastic bag off. Tuxy didn't want to volunteer, on account that he didn't have a snorkeling mask, and it is not really stylish to volunteer your own wife. So there I was.... With 3 dives under the boat the plastic bag was out.

I learned 2 things from this experience:

  1. Swimming in water of 19 degrees is actually quite nice

3 comments:

  1. Be happy that iT not happened in The Atlantic Ocean in april. I have read your story with a smile. Thank you Wal. Have a nice trip to The Italian Isles. Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hallo Wal en Elizabeth wat een leuk verhaal!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do not believe it.
      On Mai 1 the city of Amsterdam closed an agreement with several parties to take away ALL the plastic from the canals, the IJ and the Amsterdam port.
      As the first city in the world.
      Did they read your log?

      Delete